Ibn Qayyim al-Jaoziyah mentioned in his book ‘Madarij al-Salikeen’ ten points that produce will Allah’s Love in a person’s heart. Also, such points and causes result in Allah’s Love for him/her. We briefly state these points and causes as follows:
- First, reciting the Qur’aan while pondering over its meaning and what is meant by it.
- Second, getting closer to Allah by performing voluntary deeds completing obligatory deeds. This is as in the Hadeeth al-Qudsi: “My slave continues to getting closer to Me by performing voluntary deeds until I love him.” [Saheeh Bukharee]
- Third, continual remembrance of Allah under all circumstances, with one’s tongue, heart and actions.
- Fourth, giving precedence to what He loves over what you love when you are overtaken by your desires.
- Fifth, the heart being avid of Allah’s Names, Attributes and the heart roaming in that garden of knowledge
- Sixth, observing Allah’s kindness, goodness and bounties, both open and hidden
- Seventh, and this is the most wonderful: the heart becoming soft, subdued and meek before Allah
- Eight, being alone with Allah during the time when the Lord descends during the last portion of the night while reading His Book and ending by asking for forgiveness and repenting.
- Ninth, sitting with the beloved and sincere, benefiting from the most fruitful of their speech. And not to speak unless speaking is more beneficial and you know that it will improve your state and be beneficial to others.
- Tenth, remaining away from every cause that comes between the heart and Allah.
These ten causes take the lovers to the station of true love and bring them to their Beloved. [Ibn al-Qayyim, Madaarij-us-Saalikeen, vol. 3, pp.17, 18]
Do you love Allah…?
Do you try to increase your love for Allah?
Are you trying?